Thursday, September 10, 2009

Rav Soloveitchik and The World
I'm beginning to realise that one of my main bones of contention with 'modern' orthodoxy and orthodoxy is the conviction of the individual as self-constitutive, as 'making oneself', the individual. I believe we are human only as a result of contact and conviviality with what is not human; our perception, our beliefs our theories and the world that is around us, of nature and man. I believe there are other...beings. Why do I feel so strange articulating that? I cringe at the words of The Rav about the 'dead matter' of the world, of the "making oneself" - that's awful lonely. And it explains a lot from someone who authored, reflecting on religion in the Now..."The Lonely Man of Faith".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>