Friday, November 25, 2005

This is bad.

Vine Deloria Jr., Standing Rock Sioux indian author and astounding soul, died earlier this month. I was a huge fan of his in college, and when I finally developed a beef with him due to some short but biting words about western religion in his "Red Earth, White Lies", I emailed him. Over the late '90's we exchanged letters around everything from Jewish history to Appalachian indian geography to the paranormal. He was always respectful and inquisitive and I will really, really miss him.

2 Comments:

At 1/10/2006 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know you had that relationship with Vine Deloria Jr.

 
At 1/15/2006 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yup. we emailed on and off since I'd read "red earth white lies" and offered criticism. He admitted to criticizing Judaism mostly through his knowledge of christianity (as I recall he was in lutheran divinity school, though I'm not sure that he finished). I recommended some Jewish books to him when he asked.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>