Sunday, July 22, 2007

Latest Delusion; become a locavore

I started a DIY blog that died before it began called Hombrew. This morning during my drive to work I caught Barbara Kingsolver on public radio talking about her new book, "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle". Rekindled my desire to grow/live local. In Israel, locavore abounds. It's how life is done for many, many people. Home Grown Revolution

Locavores, one of the first organized efforts by name to encourage it.

I'd also read through the comments to Bryan Welch's piece "Why I Farm". some of them were comically blind to the environmental costs of an "international" vegetarian lifestyle, speaking of their U.N. meals of fruits and veggies from farflung regions as if it were teleported free of charge, as if every such meal were some lesson in cultural diversity and compassion and sustainability - for simply lacking meat. Before I even read his piece, I was actually turned off of their arguments as well as the dehumanization of package meat and imported produce (to which I still submit and contribute).

All of which reminds me further of the time I walked by the Art Therapy department of the university where I work. I had thought "art" for its own sake, as such, isn't something people lost touch with, but craft, making for themselves the necessities of life, being more directly responsible for their environment by design and construction - not merely by purchasing. So fostering DIY more than producing macaroni-art pieces or performance dance about ones daily stress seems more in order with whats missing. more, and more editing, later; working.

1 Comments:

At 7/25/2007 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well then... are you becoming a farmer?

- Isaac

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>